Monday, May 13, 2013

Winning Neighbours and Friends


I just moved this month. What a pain. Exhausting. My place is a mess. But I've found time to bake. I've always got time for sweets and deliciousness. In fact I had eggs whites lying around. And sugar. And not much else. The solution was simple. 



Meringues are a favourite in my family. I have been trying to perfect them for years. I have even been gifted a gorgeous copper bowl. The story goes that copper makes the nicest, fluffiest egg whites. There's also this explanation, with fancy words like conalbumin, if you're interested. 

The trick to a perfect meringue, if you ask me, is a crisp and crunchy outside with a gooey, chewy inside. However, I have found that with the drawn out process of baking meringues at a low heat for a long time doesn't always work. I don't get that crispy outside. Not so with this recipe. Martha. Martha knows what she's doing. My theory is that it's the cornstarch. I've never used it in a meringue recipe before. But this worked, without a single complication. And a shorter baking time. Colour me impressed. 


I had seven egg whites, so I doubled the recipe. Also I left out the espresso, as I don't, nor have I ever, stocked any. 

I took these around to my new neighbours and landlords and they were a hit! Everyone really enjoyed them, and I think I have won them over for now. 


Also, some day I promise to try something chocolate free. 

Chocolate Chip Meringues

(adapted from Martha Stewart's Mocha-chip Meringues)


1 ½  cups berry sugar

2 tbsp cornstarch

7 egg whites, room temperature

½ tsp salt

6 tbsp cocoa powder

¾ cup chocolate chips





1.     Preheat oven to 300 C.

2.     In a large bowl, beat egg whites and salt on medium until frothy.

3.     Once frothy add sugar and cornstarch, a bit at a time, beating constantly.

4.     Beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.

5.     Scrape down bowl, and beat in cocoa.

6.     Fold in chocolate chips.

7.     Scoop meringue onto baking tray, about one inch apart.

8.     Bake until crisp, with cracks showing, about 40 minutes.

9.     Cool completely.

10.   Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Way to bribe the neighbours, you can tell this isn't your first rodeo! :)

    ReplyDelete