So here are my tips for making a box cake almost as good as cake from scratch:
- First when we are talking birthday cakes, go for the yellow cake. It truly is the classic! The chocolate just doesn't taste like good chocolate to me.
- These cake boxes suggest you use water. That is blasphemy when there are about 8000 wet ingredients better than water that you could add to a cake. In this case I used buttermilk and I honestly think that is what made the difference. Buttermilk is flavourful, tangy and rich and adds depth to the cake.
- Get some fruit going on somewhere on there- adds to the homemade feel and flavour!
- Presentation is everything: I made stencils in the shape of '25' (Claire's age) and dusted it with icing sugar, since I didn't have icing implements.
- Don't over bake- super key! These babies can get dry.
- A bit of citrus zest never hurt anyone.
- And finally- ice cream on the side! Makes everything good.
Also - I just wanted to share these nice pictures of one of the most beautiful places in BC, that I took while on the island that weekend.
|Orca sightings are always magical.|