Friday, July 27, 2012

Peach Caprese Salad

I have been wanting to post a really great Raspberry Curd that Claire and I made for more than a week now, but I had a very sad mishap with my camera. I think it might be dead forever due to some contact lens solution spilling on it :(... The only upside to this was that I had no choice but to go out and upgrade to an iphone. The camera on it is decent enough to get me through until I can buy a real camera, and it also functions as a phone! I have to say I've had it for two days and its even better than I hoped. I missed my skytrain stop this morning because I was so engrossed.  All these pics were taken on it.

In the meantime here is a quick post about a perfect summer salad that I have been eating for the last 4 nights straight (and for lunch too!). I got the inspiration from Joy's crostini over here. Caprese Salad is something my parents make every summer, and once I tasted this version I couldn't stop eating it. Seriously, the sweet flavour of peaches mingling with the slight acidity of balsamic vinegar and tomatoes, the bright basil and the neutral soft cheese to balance, is off the hook.

My suggestion for the best possible salad, is to get the most ripe and juicy peaches and tomatoes you can find in your store. They make the salad. Don't settle for something too firm, is what I'm saying! You might be skeptical about savoury stuff on a peach (a grind of pepper and a sprinkle of salt) but it works, trust. 

Peach Caprese Salad Recipe:

3 ripe peaches
3 ripe tomatoes
8-10 basil leaves
2 balls of soft boccocini cheese
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
coarse sea salt
pepper

Slice the peaches and tomatoes thinly and lay out on a platter. Chiffonade the basil (ie. roll all the leaves up like a cigar and then slice through). Rip up the soft cheese and sprinkle throughout the salad, then add the basil. Sprinkle the vinegar over top, and top with a healthy amount of sea salt and a grind or two of pepper. Let it sit in its juices for a few minutes, then enjoy! 
Tastes like summer.

I enjoyed it as a side with some great homemade burgers and a glass (or two) of white wine in my garden last night. Weirdly Matt put the salad IN his burger. He said it was good?
Matt put his salad IN his burger. Something to try?

1 comment: